What are the signs and symptoms of brain aneurysm?

Neurologist
Question
Is all bleeding on the brain an aneurysm? My brother in law had a hole drilled in his skull to let the blood drain out. He has been falling for no reason as so he thought is this an aneurýsm.?.
Wed, 30 May 2018 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Bleeding not the same as aneurysm. Aneurysm unlikely in his case.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome to HealthcareMagic.

A bleeding in the brain is not the same thing as an aneurysm. A brain bleed may be due to many different causes. An aneurysm can be one of these causes, but not necessarily, only in a small percentage of cases.

While I do not know the particulars of your brother in law's case his brain bleed shouldn't be due to an aneurysm, that type of surgery you describe is not typical of of a bleed due to an aneurysm. It seems he most likely had a subdural hematoma, a bleed between the layers which covers the brain due to a tear in the blood vessels running along the surface of the brain. Most common cause is a trauma. In the elderly it may be caused even by minor trauma as with the brain shrinking the veins on the brain surface are stretched and are more fragile. If taking blood thinners may favor it as well.

I remain at your disposal for other questions.

Follow-up: What are the signs and symptoms of brain aneurysm? 1 hour later
Fantastic THE DR.told me everything I needed to know in simple English so I could understand what he was talking about. I was very pleased

Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Glad to have been of help.

Detailed Answer:
Glad to have been of help.