What are the signs and symptoms of anal cancer and haemorrhoids?

Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil

Posted on Mon, 9 Nov 2015 in General Health
Question: Hello, my question is about hemorroids vs cancer hopefully i can explain the syptoms well enough

My symptoms are a bulge on my anus, thats soft and squishy like a fluid is in there. It pokes out of my anus only at times, other times it is not visible. Also when i strain my anus muscles i see smaller purple bumps that sort if looks like cauliflower all around inside my anus. I have bled a tiny tiny bit on toilet paper maybe twice since i noticed the bulge. And its been over a year. I thought it was a hemorroid but it wont go away. I have not had the best diet and am currently taking fiber. Another main symptom is my stool is narrow some times (about a half inch to quarter inch) in diameter at certain times as well. I have solid bowel movements every day, and occasional diarreha in very small amounts. Eating fiber makes the stool not narrow. Utterly petrified i have either anal, or rectal cancer please help me out! Oh and also I had days when i first noticed it where it would itch very bad but that was short lived .
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Biopsy for diagnosis after ruling out common causes

Detailed Answer:
Hello and Welcome

I appreciate your concern

Anal cancer (squamous cell carcinoma) is especially in HIV positive and homosexual men who are on the receiving end in their sexual practices. Usually there is fungating mass that grows out of the anus with nodal involvement/metastases. DRE ( Digital rectal exam) and local exam should be done to look for anal fissure, hemorrhoids , abscess, fistula formation. The only way to be sure about the diagnosis is by doing a biopsy if the above aren't found and suspicion remains.

Wishing you best of health

Thanks

Please consult your doctor before deciding on any further course of action.

For future follow up / correspondence you may ask me directly at the link given below

http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/Funnel?page=askDoctorDirectly&docId=68107

Dr. M.S. Khalil

Follow up: Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 20 minutes later
Hiv negative just had a test. I am going to get it checked but have other health concerns as well that i am not looking to discuss. I would like to know if hemorroids can last as long as mine are? Keep in mind theres no bleeding or pain, and the lump is illusive, it seems to show at times, and then hide. And it is very soft. Are there any ways of telling the diffrence between hemorroids and cancer??
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Explained

Detailed Answer:
Hello again.

External Hemorrhoids are painful while internal ones bleed. Anal cancer can be invasive and may cause both bleeding and pain symptoms. Hemorrhoids are easily diagnosed on physical examination of the area. Anal cancer requires a biopsy. No other alternative for anal cancer diagnosis is there.

Wishing you best of health

Thanks
Follow up: Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 21 minutes later
Its internal but not bleeding, its anal cancer then?
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Biopsy is a must for diagnosis

Detailed Answer:
Hello again.

Its impossible to diagnose cancer in this case , based on history and physical alone. Unless the lump is biopsied one cant label it as cancerous. You may consult a proctologist to assess for biopsy.

Thanks.