What are the signs and symptoms of an urinary tract infection?

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Tue, 30 May 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: spent a week in XXXXXXX when came back had issues with bowel movements, no feel like urinate but have difficulties, went to a clinic they tested urine for infection plus took an ex ray but did not see anything abnormal the worse now I cannot urine properly, what to do
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Can be urinary tract infection or benign hyperplasia of prostate.

Detailed Answer:
Hello Dear,
Thanks for choosing HealthcareMagic for your query.
I am a Gastroenterologist and would be addressing your query.

The problem you are having is called urinary tract infection.The tube that transports urine from the bladder to the outside of the body is located close to the anus. Bacteria that were responsible for bowel issues from the large intestine, Most commonly Eschrichia. coli, are in the perfect position to escape the anus and invade the urethra. From there, they can travel up to the bladder, and if the infection isn't treated, continue on to infect the kidneys. Having sex with infected male can introduce bacteria into the urinary tract,too.

Enlargement of the prostate gland, due most commonly to benign prostatic hyperplasia
Leukocyte esterase is a urine test to look for white blood cells in urine.Test called uroflometry and ultrasound should be done to rule out possibility.

Antibiotic therapy with should be started Nitrofurantoin can be taken initially at 50mg doses.
An ultrasound Kidney urinary bladder should be done to rule out possibility of stone.
Repeat urine routine and microscopy again after 3 days.
Hope i answered your query well,Feel free to follow up.

Regards.
Brief Answer:
Follow up.

Detailed Answer:
Hello ,
In case you want OTC medicine take Azo Standard, Pyridium (phenazopyridine) 100mg thrice a day for 5 days if not relieved go for investigatuions.Yes you will get it at pharmacy.
Nitrofurantoin is not OTC.
Don't take hyosyamine its an anticholinergic and reduces motility of bladder and ureter hence cause difficulty in voiding.
Please mention salts in CCP 821.
Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Ramesh Kumar 1 hour later
do I need a prescription for Nitrofurantoin at 50mg , how do I buy it , pharmacy? will CCP 821 OR B21 help?
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Follow up.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again,
No stop taking amoxiciollin.
Side effect-Diarrhea and it is not very effective in treating urinary problem.

Drug of choice for you would be cefixime but as it needs prescription initially you can go for Pyridium.

Thanks.
Follow up: Dr. Ramesh Kumar 0 minute later
Generic Name: Amoxicillin
Strength: 500 mg
Manufacturer: China Chemical & Pharmaceutical Co., China
Type: Antibiotic
Comment: Image courtesy of spudinsane. Imprint CCPB32
bladder seam to have an urge/sensation that needs to be empty quite often now, should I drink a lot of liquid, to really fill it up or not? if a drink lots of water will I have an even bigger problem to urinate out? please advise.do I need to go to the ER? should I drink a lot of fluids, it will be difficult to urinate?
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Follow up answer.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again,

Increased frequency and urgency are characteristic feature pf urinary tract infection.All the symptoms you are on are characteristic of UTI.
Yes you should drink plenty of liquids around 8-10 glasses per day.
The more you urinate the more you will prevent bacteria from colonizing in your urinary tract.
If possible its always better to go to ER.

However if you don't want then you can follow treatment as-
Tab Cefixime (preferably) 200mg twice daily after consultation with your doctor.
Tab Tylenol twice daily (anti-inflammatory).
Tab Dicyclomine 10 mg twice daily (anti spasmodic).
Drink 8-10 glasses of cleaner water daily.

It will settle down in a day or two

Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Ramesh Kumar 9 hours later
sorry for all the questions but, I went to the emergency, explained all. as you mentioned they prescribed METRONIDAZOLE 500MG AND CIPROFLOXACIN HCL 500MG for urine infection. I took both caps at 10:00am and was told twice a day. Right now is after 6:00pm and it seems I am going to the bathroom, struggling every 30 minutes or so, I am drinking water however, it seems no sign of relieve. What to do, can take the medication at this time? go back to the ER? please advise... how long until medication starts to work?
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Aggressive therapy is required.

Detailed Answer:
Hi again,
In XXXXXXX most of the persons are taking higher antibiotics like cephalosporins on their own.As most likely you got infection from there ,chances can be that bacteria is resistant to older antibiotics like ciprofloxacin.So ask you physician to prescribe you with higher class of drug like Cefixime in high doses 400mg twice daily.

Metronidazole is a antiprotozoal and should be taken 8 hourly.

To provide relief in frequency anti inflammatory analgesic likew (Serratiopeptidase in combination with acelofenac ) should be given twice daily along with Antispasmodic like Flavoxalate 100mg twice daily.

Tell the resident in ER that you had been to a country where even reserved antibiotics are used frequently hence bacteria's are usually resistant to primary antibiotics.

This therapy will provide relief to you in 12-24 hours.

However just taking a weak antibiotic with anti protozoal without any muscle relaxant or anti inflammatory will rake atleast 72 hours to show some relief.
Get a urine culture and sensitivity done to see the sensitivity of bacteria to antibiotics.

Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T