What are the signs and symptoms of alopecia areata?

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist

Posted on Wed, 22 Mar 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: my brother has lost small portion of hair from head, it will be 2 inch radius. Please check attached image and suggest what can be done for this.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Possibility of alopecia areata

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you for writing to us

I am dr.kakkar (dermatologist). Unfortunately I could not find any Image. I request you to kindly re-upload an Image in "Reports Section".
I think he possibly has alopecia areat but it requires confirmation.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 21 minutes later
apologies, sending image again.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Alopecia areata

Detailed Answer:
Thank you.

Yes, I can see a smooth,bald patch of hair loss.This is definitely alopecia areata. Scalp is the most common site of alopecia areata.
Treatment of choice for a focal patch of alopecia areata on scalp is intralesional injection of triamcinolone acetonide 10mg/ml in this area. I suggest that you visit a dermatologist in your vicinity for the needful.

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 23 minutes later
Will it treated with 1 injection multiple, what would be the duration of treatment. can you also help me with price of this injection.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Regarding alopecia areata

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

Most patients require 2-3 injection visits at 3 weeks intervals between visits.
Injection costs just 50- 70 INR. It has to be injected at the site. A dermatologist would do it for you.