What are the signs and symptoms of advanced liver fibrosis?

Dr. Muhammad Ali Rauf

Posted on Mon, 2 Nov 2015 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: What does advanced fibrosis of the liver mean?
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ali Rauf 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It means scarring of normal tissue -> normal function decreases

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thank You for contacting HCM. My name is Dr Muhammad Ali Rauf & i will look into your problem.

I have gone through your query and would try to help you in the best possible way. Liver fibrosis is the scarring process that represents the liver’s response to injury. With the passage of time this process can result in cirrhosis of the liver, in which the architectural organization of the functional units of the liver becomes so disrupted that blood flow through the liver and liver function become disturbed. Ultimately liver fails to perform its normal functions and symptoms appear.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help if not then don't forget to close the discussion and rate it.
Wishing you good health !!
Follow up: Dr. Muhammad Ali Rauf 19 hours later
What is the prognosis for advanced fibrosis. I was told that this has been going on for 20 or 30 years. I was told this is non alcoholic cirrhosis. I am 67 years old. I have right upper quardrant pain that radiates to my back, and fatigue. I am not a candidate for a liver transplant.
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ali Rauf 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Pain could be due to hepatobillary involvement

Detailed Answer:
Hello

It is difficult to give time span because in some individuals this can stay for a longer time(may be years) without causing any harm while in others it can progress to decompensated liver disease within weeks. Most common cause of pain in right upper quadrant is involvement of hepatobillary channels and specifically gall bladder. I would suggest you to get LFTs & ultrasound abdomen done to confirm if there is any such involvement.

Thank You
Follow up: Dr. Muhammad Ali Rauf 15 hours later
My gallbladder was removed in 1994. Thanks for the information
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ali Rauf 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
Workup for hepatobillary system will help

Detailed Answer:
hello

in that case pathology of gall bladder is ruled out. it would be helpful if you visit hospital so that specific investigations can be done to rule out exact cause. meanwhile avoid spicy food and drinks.

thank you
Follow up: Dr. Muhammad Ali Rauf 39 hours later
Thanks, I have been to the liver clinic at the Mayo Clinic. I guess I'm grasping at straws for any advice. The itching and fatigue are really worrisome. The pain is getting worse. I'm just needing some encouragement. I'm coping by planning to keep on keeping on, hope for the best, and accept what comes.
Brief Answer:
Itching & fatigue are due to liver infection

Detailed Answer:
Hello

You should not loose hope because determination is an IMPORTANT factor in keeping you on track. Itching in fatigue are two common side effects in liver infection. You can discuss with your treating doctor to take cetirizine one at night for itching. It shows good results in itching. Your symptoms will improve automatically as soon as the infection settles.

Thank you and wishing you a very good & smooth recovery.
Follow up: Dr. Muhammad Ali Rauf 36 hours later
Thank you for the suggestion for itching. I am an optimistic person and I continue to be hopeful, some days I need self talk to encourage myself. Thanks for your help.
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ali Rauf 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome

Detailed Answer:
Hello

You are welcome. God willing, you will be fine. I'll be available 24/7 for if you ever need assistance or want to discuss. Don't forget to close the discussion & rate it.

Wishing you a very good health.