What are the signs and symptoms of a rectal cancer?

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Tue, 21 Feb 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have been having some stomach issues for a while now - a lot of gas, constipation (I may only have 1 bowel movement a week to a week and a half, some pain when having the bowel movement and some anal leakage. Could these been signs of colon or rectal cancer?
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Most likely its severe g.i flora disturbance not colon or rectal cancer.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for choosing HealthcareMagic for your query,

As per your history, your chief complaint is severe constipation, apart from that you have no other significant complaints. Suspecting a diagnosis as high as carcinoma before excluding the more common factors is not a good idea. As of now, i don't feel that it can be cancer except in very rare scenario.

Our gut consists of its own environment of micro organism called gut flora.They are responsible for proper digestion of food.Once this flora is deplished many of G.I symptoms like bloating belching constipation etc can be there.

Before going to any other diagnosis, i would suggest you to take a good probiotic for 3 weeks. This will again replenish the depleted flora. Once the flora is replenished intestinal motility and secretions will be improved. Tablet Pantoprazole (40mg once daily before breakfast) can be taken along with it to provide relief in gas.

As you are having severe constipation things will settle down slowly so have a realistic approach. Syp Lactulose can be taken on daily basis, (as per your body requirement) initially.
Apart from medicines some suggestions are-

Drink a lots of XXXXXXX warm water.
Eat a lot of fiber in diet 30-40 gram per day.
Have ispaghula husk 2 tsf twice daily.

Eat lot of vegetable and fibrous fruits like oranges and pears.
No smoking or alcohol.
No burger, pizza, over fried or spicy food.
Take lots of yogurt in diet.

And also get one ultra sound scan of abdomen done.

Do get back to me in case of any further doubts.
Thanks!

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee