• question-icon

What are the signs and symptoms of a haematoma?

Posted on Sat, 8 Apr 2017 in Lump
Question: Hello Doctor,

This small blue spot appeared a week ago on my hand. It appears to be under the skin. It protrudes slightly. I would like an opinion: blue nevus or something serious?

Background info: About a month ago, I injured my thumb & wrist but not very seriously. It was a compression injury. Did not get X-ray or see doctor. Still have some pain in hand when I put pressure on it. Could it be a ganglion cyst?

I've included two photos under different lighting conditions.

Thank you, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
It looks like Haematoma.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
I saw the pics.

It looks like Haematoma, collection of blood.
It is not Naevus or Ganglion.

As there is a history of trauma, haematoma is the first possibility. It resolves spontaneously in due course of time.

Colour doppler of the affected area will give a clue.
If the swelling doesn't come down even after 2 months, you can consult your doctor and get it removed.

Nothing to worry.
Hope I answered your query. If you have any questions, I will clarify further.
Wish you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Hari Charan Perigela

General Surgeon