What are the signs and symptoms of a bleeding spleen?

Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein

General Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 20 Apr 2017 in Abdominal Pain
Question: What are the symptoms of a bleeding spleen. I had an injury 2 1/2 years ago. Broken ribs lacerated the spleen. They took me to surgery but it stopped bleeding before surgeon cut me open. Now I get a sharp pain in that area that comes and goes maybe for two or three days. Then my stomach feels like I have been kicked in it and will be sore for three or four days. Stomach feels like it did after the spleen had bled into it. Do you have recommendations?
Answered by Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Check red blood count

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome.
Spleen rupture would manifest with serious signs such as hypotension,paleness, syncope and extreme constant pain and this would be surgical emergency. I don't think this is present in you case. However,other complications may occur after spleen injury such as splenic artery pseudoaneursim or spleen abscess.so it would be good to do ultrasound and red blood count for a start to rule these out. Wish you good health. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D