What are the signs and symptoms of UTI?

Dr. Shoaib Khan

Posted on Wed, 15 Mar 2017 in Infections
Question: What symptoms and complications come from a UTI? Does it affect your mental stability for a while?
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It can cause a low level of tolerance to otherwise normal stimuli

Detailed Answer:
Hello ma'am and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help. Symptoms of a UTI can include:

+Burning sensation while urinating
+Frequent urination
+Increased urge to pass urine, but only a less amount of urine is passed
+Chills
+Fever
+At times blood tinged urine, or clear blood in urine
+Lower abdominal pain
+Flank or lower back pain
+Weakness
+Irritability
and a few others. Please also note that not all symptoms can be present or need to be present in order to make a diagnosis of UTI.

UTI can cause some real discomfort, which can cause an individual to become irritable and intolerant to otherwise normal stimuli. I wouldn't go so far as to say that a UTI would cause mental instability, but due to the increased discomfort it can certainly cause low levels of tolerance ma'am.

I hope you find my response helpful. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I am always here to help.

Best wishes.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Shoaib Khan 49 minutes later
I'm taking mood drugs and I'm hallucinating, and doing crazy things like walking out of the house and screaming for neighbors to help me, that I've been raped and kidnapped. What is the matter with me?
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Will require psychiatrist consult at the earliest, on emergency basis

Detailed Answer:
Hello ma'am.

The hallucinations and paranoia could be coming from an underlying condition that may need more help than just mood correcting drugs. I strongly recommend a revisit to your psychiatrist and if possible even an admission for a few days just so we can make sure you stay safe and do not harm yourself in anyway.

Please do not hesitate to write to me anytime, I am always here to help.

Best wishes.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy