What are the side effects of prolonged intake of ASA 50?

Dr. Sandip Kabra

Posted on Wed, 21 Sep 2016 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Cardiology: Dear Doctor, I am 73 year old male and diabetic since 5 years ofcourse it was under control.MyHB A1 c is 6.4 . i am told that i had ischemic heart disease in the year 1977 which i have never experienced .By chance it was found in the ECG (T Wave Inversion) Since then i was prescribed ASA 50. I have taken that medicine for nearly 30 years besides taking a statin.Only last year my phsician prescribed Ecosprin AV 75 and asked me to stop taking ASA 50 and Atorvostatin spearately. So since last year i am taking this. My question is since Ecosprin is a blood thinning agent, and since i have been taking this medicine in the form of ASA 50 for 30 long years and then Ecosprin, am I not overdosing myself with this medicine , though no side effects were observed so far. Will it be ok if i continue to take this medicine?
Answered by Dr. Sandip Kabra 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
You can continue it

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to HCM,

I have read your query and understand your concern.

Most probably,there will be NO issue to continue this combination medicine (Ecosprin-AV 75) as you had a T wave inversion on EKG which might be indicative of myocardial ischemia (lack of proper blood supply to the some area of heart).

75 mg aspirin is a low dose and as you have not experienced any side effects so far,you can continue with it.

However,I would suggest you to undergo routine blood counts,Hemoglobin and PT (prothrombin time) with INR tests periodically (minimum once in a 6 month) or as suggested by your doctor. I would also advise you to check your EKG every 2 or 3 monthly.

Hope this helps.

Dr.Sandip Kabra

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar
Follow up: Dr. Sandip Kabra 48 minutes later
doctor. routine blood counts mean complete blood picture or something else.kindly advise.
Answered by Dr. Sandip Kabra 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Total WBC count with differential count

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking again,

Routine blood counts means total WBC counts with differential count and Hemoglobin and PT INR test.

Dr.Sandip Kabra