• question-icon

What are the side effects of pelvic sling?

Posted on Tue, 31 May 2016 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: What are some of the problems associated with a pelvic sling? My primary care physician ask me about a year ago if I needed an adjustment to it? She is not the surgeon who operated to place it, nor would she be the doctor to adjust it, so she was asking as a matter of professional care, recently I have been having some pain where I think the doctor attached the sling, and I don't have the same amount of bladder control that I had after the surgery. It was between 5-6 years ago
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Needs readjustment

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

Pelvic slings or urethral slings are placed in order to achieve proper bladder control. The main concerns with such a sling is its going out of place which would worsen bladder control. In such a case re-adjustment might be needed. That you do not have the same amount of bladder control at present, is an indication for re-adjustment. Talk to your doctor about the same.

Apart from the bladder control issue, I do not think there is any major issue that you need to be concerned about.

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha