What are the side effects of old Rabies vaccines?

Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari

General Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 27 Aug 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Hi I have had 2 booster doses of Rabies(Rabipur) vaccine 2 weeks back for suspecting a scratch from a dog (last year i had a full course). Is Rabies Vaccine safe since i met a doctor who said old vaccine are very dangerous and have potential to bring major complications? Iam worried if that will develop to major complications since i took 2 booster dose (2 weeks and 3 weeks back) in the coming days
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Rabipur is safe

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to Healthcare-Magic
Greetings of the Day

Dear Mr XXXXXXX

Old vaccines were nerve cell derived vaccine and were injected into the subcutaneous tissue of anterior abdominal ( around the umbilicus). They sometimes had severe reaction.
Rabipur is Chick embryo derived vaccine and is very safe , it does not have adverse effects as noted in older vaccine.
There is definitely no cause to be worried about. In your previous question I have clarified your doubts. Rest be assured.

Wishing you happy and healthy life

Take Care
Best Regards
Dr Deepak