What are the side effects of long term usage of Otrivin?

Dr. Deepak

Posted on Tue, 7 Jun 2016 in Internal Doctor Category
Question: what ia side effect of long time used otrivin ault or otrinoz ? and what i do

nose and smile lose
Answered by Dr. Deepak 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Minimal side effects.

Detailed Answer:
Hi...
Welcome to HCM.
Thank you for your query.
I understand your concern.

The medicines you have mentioned contain an active ingredient called Xylometazoline which is a nasal decongestant.
It makes blood vessels in nose to contract and there by decreases blood flow relieving congestion.
It is advised not to use it for a long term as its efficacy may decrease on prolong use. And you may get congestion back once you stop this drug.
Only in some cases patient may experience dizziness, headache, nausea, nervousness, wheeze, rash(if allergic to it) etc as minor side effects.
Other than that there are no possible life threatening side effects of it.

Infective etiology could also be the cause for polyp for which your doctor has rightly prescribed antibiotic, along with nasal decongestant.

I would suggest you to use it for only symptomatic relief for a short duration.

In case if it is not responding to current medication and you need permanent cure, surgery would be the best choice in my opinion.

Hope this helps.
Take care, BYE.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Deepak