What are the side effects of food supplements containing soy?

Kathy
Kathy Shattler

Dietitian & Nutritionist

Posted on Wed, 9 Dec 2015 in Weight & Lifestyle
Question: I'm concerned about the "safety" of soy ingredients in supplements. I see more all the time and realize it is an inexpensive filler and an increasing popularity for farmers as a crop.
Is soy harmful when an ingredient in supplements.? At this time I want an astaxanthin supplement w/o soy.
Answered by Kathy Shattler 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Soy is not "harmful" as a filler unless you have gluten sensitivity

Detailed Answer:
Hello! I understand your concern with fillers in your supplements. There are supplements without fillers.There are several undesirable fillers in supplements of which soy is the least to worry about.However, locating them can be a challenge.

I see you are gluten sensitive. Many supplements contain gluten, another reason to stay away from fillers.

I can list some brands that don't contain fillers. I know for certain that Pure Encapsulations does not contain soy fillers. So, they are out there. Pure Encapsulations is a professional brand. I can give you a code to be able to purchase them or you can do a search for supplements without soy.

The code for Pure Encapsulations at www.pureencapsulations.com is 28116. It has virgin olive oil in a gelatin cap and use this only if you cannot find another supplement without soy or gluten. I think if you do a search for " supplements without fillers" you will find many choices.

Please do not share this code if you decide to use it. Good luck and I hope I have answered your question. If not please write back for clarifications or rate and close out. Thank you for visiting HCM. XXXXXXX Shattler, MS,RDN

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina