What are the side effects of eyes dehydration? Treatment?

Dr. Kulbir Singh

Posted on Sat, 29 Dec 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: eyes dehydration
what are the side effects of eyes dehydration ?? and is it XXXXXXX on the lobv ng run...
and how to treat them as its an ongoing issue that am facing...

Answered by Dr. Kulbir Singh 3 hours later
Hello and thanks for posting the query
Q1: What are the side effects of eye dehydration?
A: Dry eye syndrome is a common disorder of the normal tear film that results from decreased tear production, excessive tear evaporation, and an abnormality in the production of mucus or lipids normally found in the tear layer, or a combination of these. Most people have nothing to worry about aside from an annoying inconvenience. Although the symptoms might make activities of daily living (e.g., reading, watching TV, driving) miserable.

Q2: Is it XXXXXXX on long run?
A: For those with more severe dehydration, significant drying of the surface of the eye can lead to an increased risk of serious infections. Ultimately, scarring, thinning, and even perforation of the cornea may occur. As a result, vision, or even the eye itself, may be permanently lost.

Q3: Treatment?
A: Certain self-care tips at home may help.
1. Use of a humidifier that puts more moisture into the air. With more moisture in the air, tears evaporate more slowly, keeping the eyes more comfortable.
2. Protect your eyes from large amounts of dust or other particulate matter in the air may worsen the symptoms. In those situations, an air filter may be helpful.
3. Hot compresses and eyelid scrubs/massage with baby shampoo help by providing a thicker, more stable lipid layer.
4. Artificial tears and lubricating eye drops and gels (available over the counter) help provide more moisture and lubrication for the surface of the eye. They are typically used about four times a day, but they can be used as often as needed.
5. Lubricating eye ointments are much thicker than eye drops and gels. Because ointments are so thick, they last much longer than eye drops and gels.
6. If the eyes are dry mainly while reading or watching TV, taking frequent breaks to allow the eyes to rest and become moist and comfortable again is helpful. Closing the eyes for 10 seconds every five to 10 minutes will increase comfort.
7. Taking a fish oil (or other high quality source of omega-3 fatty acids) supplement every day can often be helpful in alleviating symptoms.

Consult your doctor for medical treatment either by medication or surgery, as in rare cases minor surgery is helpful in curing the disease.

Hope I have answered you query. Happy to answer your other query.
Best Wishes
Dr. Kulbir Singh