What are the side effects of estrogen replacement therapy?
HRT is required and combination helps
I am Dr. Prakash HM and I will be answering your query.
My thoughts would be that estrogen and progesterone combined hormone replacement therapy (HRT) is beneficial in improving the overall self esteem and well being.
Estrogen therapy is necessary for the reducing osteoporosis and improving cardiovascular well being.
Along with testosterone, improved significant sex life is noted.
I believe if you can take it strictly under guidance of a doctor, the doctor can monitor the risks of cancers particularly breast and endometrium which will allow them to modify treatment accordingly.
Therefore to improve your present life, I think you should undergo HRT.
Any further queries, happy to answer again.
Dr. Prakash HM
it was not ovarian removal - only uterus
After going through your text, I can say a few things.
1. I understand After age of 60, its risky. It could prove beneficial by starting with a low dose. And treatment is considered if benefits out weigh risk. In this case the benefits are many.
2. I have no experience with bioidentical hormones, but adverse effects are similar to HRT or more. Studies are still not suggestive for its use in present environment.
3. Total hysterectomy is only hysterectomy, not salphingo-oophorectomy. Unless I am mistaken about the surgery you had, I believe the ovaries were functional until recently.
4. My last thoughts, you should try HRT.
Any further queries, happy to help you again.
If you have no further clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.
Dr. Prakash HM
It could complicate CV problems, if you have.
Looking at the new settings, still I would think it would be beneficial in terms of non-cardiovascular reasons. It is definitely not going to help the heart.
However, I have to caution you, that if you have any cardiovascular risk factors, it could get accelerated, as starting at this point of time, would not help the heart and it could well increase the risk of CV incident.
If you think, you do not have any cardiovascular risk factors other than family history, you can give a try as it could help in improving the bone as well as lipid profile, while helping the overall well being. If you still want to pursue, go for low dose.
Be careful as it will be difficult to predict, how the body will react to the hormones after a long time.
Any further queries, happy to help again.
Dr. Prakash HM
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Herbal estrogen replacement
- Natural estrogen replacement therapy
- Estrogen replacement patch
- Natural estrogen replacement pills
- Low dose estrogen replacement
- Bioidentical estrogen replacement therapy
- Decreasing estrogen replacement therapy
- Herbal estrogen replacement therapy
- Estrogen replacement therapy for turners syndrome
- Estrogen replacement pills