What are the side effects of cosmelan depigmentation cream?

Dr. Geetika Paul

Dermatologist

Posted on Fri, 30 May 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I'm using cosmelan depigmentation cream, what are the side effect of this products? When I apply the cream I feel a little irritation and minute burning sensation on my face. Is this normal?

Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Proper technique of application

Detailed Answer:
Hi

You are using cosmelan cream for skin pigmentation .
I would like to tell you that it is essentially a safe medicine for use in skin pigmentation .
The kind of skin irritation and itching that you age experiencing with its use is quite normal especially in the beginning .
Proper application of the medicine has to be done to avoid such an irritation .
You should the the medicine only at night. Before applying the medicine , you should first apply a light moisturizer over the whole face. Then you should apply a little amount of the medicine only over the affected areas. You should make sure not to apply too much and also you should not rub the cosmelan cream too much . Both excess application and excess rubbing can cause irritation and itching.
Since right now you are experiencing this , so I would advise you to stop it's application for two to three days and then resume again as told. This will help in healing the current irritant reaction.

Hope it helps

Please ask if you need any further clarifications

Dr Geetika Paul