question-icon

What are the side effects of cervical cauterization with silver nitrate?

Posted on Wed, 20 Apr 2016
Question: Hello. I had my cervix caurterized yesterday with silver nitrate and was wondering what all the symptoms and side effects were as the doctor didn't quite explain what to expect.
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Considerations

Detailed Answer:
Hello & thank you for submitting your question to HCM.

After this type of procedure, you
may experience internal tenderness or slight soreness in the pelvic/pubic area. Also, there might be very mild discharge over the next few days. In general, this procedure usually does not cause serious post-operative effects. If you experience any significant pain, bleeding, fever or chills, please see your physician immediately. It is also important to maintain regular follow-up for future pelvic examinations and Pap smear testing.

I hope this was helpful.

Sincerely,
Dr Galamaga
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Robert Galamaga

Oncologist