• question-icon

What are the side effects of birth control pills?

Posted on Fri, 10 Apr 2015 in General Health
Question: hi i am a 27 year old female. i dont have any medical problems. went and had blood work done in october and everything came back fine. but here within the past week i started birth control and idk if it has to do with it but my upper abdomen has been bloated. i also have noticed i cant go threw a whole night without waking up burning up. and kinda empty hollow felling in my upper abdomen i normally eat a piece of cheese but it doesn't help. its still left feeling weird and growls pretty loud and makes me nauseous . i also have noticed iam super tired like 10 hours of sleep is about the amount i need now. i also have had a break up here within the past few weeks and don't know if that could play a roll in t being stressed. i do not have health insurance for another 3 months due to starting a job so i just need some answer if i should be worried. so man focus is: upper abdomen bloated (hollow feeling and growls alot even after eating all day) sometimes makes me nauseous.
then super tired, and feeling hot threw out the night on and sometimes i have noticed for years my hands and thighs get very hot feelings to them at random as if i have a heating pad on them.
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Medication side effect

Detailed Answer:
There is something important about the onset of a new medication and the onset of your symptoms. I think that these are side effects from the birth control pill. Certainly I would recommend that you check a pregnancy test if this is possible, but bloating and fatigue is not an uncommon complaint related to the progesterone in birth control. I would recommend the following:
1. With the next pill pack, change the time of day that you take the pill - if you take it in the morning, consider the nighttime instead
2. If the symptoms persist into another cycle, ask about different forms of the pill as they all contain different types of progesterone
3. If this is still a problem, ask about an IUD

Let me know if this helps
Dr. Tim
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Timothy Raichle

OBGYN