What are the side effects of antipsychotics and mood stabilizers?

Dr. Chintan Solanki

Psychiatrist

Posted on Tue, 7 Oct 2014 in Eating Disorders
Question: Hi
Iam researching a topic on Extreme stress disorders
I believe bi-polar medication Lithium lent to suicidal ideation, agoraphobia and increased depression and co
I believe that not treating me for trauma symtoms instead as of now I would not have suffered through two episodes of medication mis management for epidodes that are trauma floods not manic episodes
I want to know about the ramifications of anti-phycotics and mood stabilzers on a person with trauma ?

Answered by Dr. Chintan Solanki 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please see detail answer below

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for using HealthCaremagic.

Lithium is not used in stress related disorder like anxiety and unipolar depression.It is mainly used as a mood stabilizer in bipolar disorder which includes mania.It is specifically useful for bipolar depression.On the contrary what you have mentioned, lithium is the only medicine which has proven as anti suicidal.It reduces suicidal ideation.

You have suffered from some trauma episodes(details not mentioned) and some medicine mismanagement issue. You are on prazosin now.
Prazosin is mainly used for prostate problem and heart related problems.but it has shown to be effective in treating severe nightmares in children and people with PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder)symptoms.Doses are lower for this purpose than for control of blood pressure.

You did not mention medicines for restless legs, agitation, adhd, anorexia nervosa and broken heart syndrome.

Please provide," More detail about your problem and medicines" if you want any specific answer from treatment point of view.

Answer:2
As trauma words can be included in most of the psychiatric disorder , I would like to categorize medicines in simple manner.In Psychiatry Broadly speaking 4 groups of medicines used mostly.

Anti Depressant: Includes group of Tricyclic, SSRI(Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor), NRI (Norepinephrine Reuptake Inhibitor), SNRI(Serotonin Norepinephrine Reuptake Inhibitor).

Anti Anxiety: Benzodiazepines, Beta Blocker and sometime alfa blocker(like prazosin), and SSRI(Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor)

Anti Psychotic(For treatment of psychotic disorder like schizophrenia): First generation (Typical antipsychotic or DSA- dopamine serotonin antagonist), Second generation (Atypical antipsychotic or SDA- serotonin dopamine antagonist).

Mood Stabilizer (For bipolar disorder): Like lithium,lamotrigine, Valproate sodium.

In addition there are many drugs which can be used in many psychiatric illnesses and can be fitted in one or more of above groups.

Hope I have answered your query,I will be happy to help further.

regards,
Dr.Chintan Solanki.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T