• question-icon

What are the side effects of Venlafaxine Hcl?

Posted on Mon, 17 Jul 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: What are the side effects of Venlafaxine Hcl er 75 mg?
Took it for the first time today after slowly stopping Wellbutrin and feel groggy
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Constipation, diarrhea, dry mouth, bloating, nausea, vomiting, etc.

Detailed Answer:

First doses of venlafaxine often cause these side effects. They however lessen as you continue the medication. This groggy feeling is certainly linked to this and i am positive it will get better with continued therapy. Keep taking and report the progress to me. We will only consider changing if the symptoms worsen and become intolerable.

I hope this guides and helps. I wish you well. Feel free to follow up with me if need be.
Follow up: Dr. Ivo Ditah 11 hours later
What about libido effects compared to Wellbutrin?
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
They both lower libido!

Detailed Answer:

They both lower libido. However, this will not be apparent after one dose only. How it affects individuals differ-some have no effects to either, some may shows effects to one and not the other, etc. It is therefore difficult to foretell how each client would react to this.

I wish you well and feel free to follow up if need be.
Follow up: Dr. Ivo Ditah 1 hour later
The 75mg dose is standard?
Is there a benefit to lowering the dose to start since it seems Wellbutrin is milder and I had been taking it for three years. Doctor listened to my description of my listlessness and said "try this". Took it mid day yesterday and felt like sleeping for 15 hours. Am reluctant to take the second dose today. Still have the Wellbutrin since I "weaned' off it for two weeks.
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 21 hours later
Brief Answer:
How much wellbutrin are you on?

Detailed Answer:

The starting dose venlafaxine is 37.7mg which is then gradually increased to hit the maximum of 75mg daily. I will say take this for at least 2weeks before stopping or switching. It is just too early to assess whether this drug works well or not for you.

Drugs work for those who really believe. This is even more true with drugs used in psychiatric clients. I will suggest that you believe that the medication will help, keep a positive mindset and follow through.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Feel free to follow up and keep me updated about your decision and how you are responding to this drug.
Follow up: Dr. Ivo Ditah 34 hours later
Was taking Bupropion HCL XL 150mg

Doctor started me on 75 mg of veniafaxine and perhaps I should go back and get it reduced.

I could believe just as easily that MACA and other herbal remedies would work and not take the drug.

Thanks for you follow up.
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 18 hours later
Brief Answer:
Am lost here. Can you reword this follow up?

Detailed Answer:

Am a bit lost with the exact message in your last follow up. Could you please reward/rephrase and post again for clarity and response?

I look forward reading from you...
Follow up: Dr. Ivo Ditah 16 minutes later
Venlafaxine or Buproprion. My doctor started me with 75 mg and it was not a feeling I could deal with and be productive at the same time.

Perhaps 37.5 mg should be my starting point rather than 75 mg.
Brief Answer:
Venlafaxine is not bupropion(wellbutrin).

Detailed Answer:

These medications are not the same. They are different and the dosages too. It is okay to start with 37.5mg of venlafaxine and increase gently to reach your target dose that works best for you. The trick with these drugs is all about finding that drug and right dose which works best for a client. That takes some trial efforts doing so. Let me know what you settle on.

I wish you well.
Dr. Ivo Ditah