• question-icon

What are the side effects of Tugain?

Posted on Mon, 3 Jul 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hi..I have bought Tugain 5.. There is less hair on front and sides.. how effective it can be..n what can be the possible side effects. Thanks
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Regarding use and side effects of minoxidil

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you for writing to us

I am dr. kakkar (dermatologist). I have gone through your query and I have noted your concerns.
Tugain 5 contains minoxidil 5% solution. Minoxidil is a hair growth promoting and hair regrowing topical drug. It is commonly used in males with androgenetic alopecia wherein there is gradual thinning and hair loss mainly from the front, mid and vertex part of scalp along with receding anterior hair line. Response to treatment is gradual. The extent of improvement varies individually and also on the grade of hair loss before starting treatment - the earlier treatment is started the better it is. It takes around 3 -6 months for a noticeable response. Minoxidil works best along with oral finasteride.
Posible side effects of minoxidil application include dryness, irritation and occasional dull headache (if used more than the recommended amount of 1 ml, twice daily).

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 16 minutes later
Thanks for the info. can I apply my regular coconut oil.. if not.. will not the hair get dry
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Avoid coconut oil

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

Scalp should be absolutely clean and oil free before applying minoxidil solution else it wont get absorbed into scalp skin. You may use a hair conditioner instead of coconut oil e.g Triclenz conditioner. Advisable to shampoo your hair daily and after shampoo use conditioner for 3-5 minutes on wet hair and then rinse it off.

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist