What are the side effects of Tricor?

Posted on Tue, 16 Jun 2015 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Tomorrow I am going to see my doctor about taking Tricor. Could you please tell me what the side effects can be and also drug interactions? Last year I had 4 TIAs and the doctor said that my triglycerides were high with each TIA.
Answered by Dr. Noble Zachariah 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Fenofibrate is a good choice.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome and thanks for your query.
Tricor (Fenofibrate ) is a good choice for hypertriglyceridemia. I have many patients on it. Serious side effects are rare. The commonest side effects reported by my patients are tiredness, abdominal discomfort like indigestion, bloating or nausea and nonspecific back ache. Occasionally they have allergic symptoms like itching, running nose.
I have found these side effects to be less than those with statins. It is however good to check for liver inflammation if there is dyspepsia and to check for muscle inflammation if there are aches.
Interactions of clinical significance are with statin group of medicines used in the treatment of cholesterol and other lipid abnormalities and with anticoagulant like warfarin. With statins one has to monitor for liver and muscle inflammation and with anticoagulant, the dose has to be adjusted.
Do get back to me if you have more queries.
Follow up: Dr. Noble Zachariah 8 minutes later
Thank you! I appreciate your answer. I do not take a statin, because my cholesterol is not very high. I do not take a blood thinner because I have wet macular degeneration in one of my eyes. My liver function is reviewed at least twice a year, so if there are problems, it should be discovered right away. Again, thank you.
Answered by Dr. Noble Zachariah 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Welcome

Detailed Answer:
Wish you good health and a great day
Dr Noble Zachariah
Dr. Noble Zachariah