• question-icon

What are the side effects of Tramadol?

Posted on Tue, 17 Nov 2015 in Lupus
Question: XXXXXXX XXXXXXX Litle 27 07 1944 severe arthritis in shoulders and ankles.
I am taking tramadol @ 100 mg a day and a back up of 50 mg if needed. Because I have Hydroftrophic cardio myopathy I am worried that one of the side effects of taking tramadol over age 65 is fluid retention causing breathlessness. I have mild breathlessness even taking XXXXXXX and Metropol and resort to urex etc frequently.
Doctors opinions inc recent rheumatologist who put me on Tradol is that I have been on Movallis 15 for far too long and is not good for the heart and tramadol would be a a good alternative. I have felt a lot better from the day I dropped Movallis and started last week on Tramadol. I felt much better within 3 days. Less stiff in reaching up and able to cope better with Yoga and water aerobics.
since July I was prescribed Cortisol Since my symptoms over May XXXXXXX were consistent with PMT and I started on a high dose which improved my condition by 90 percent. I have reduced this on doctors advise to 25 mg a day. As I come off this I am starting to feel the effects of pain again shooting down triceps of both arms. I am just about to reduce Cortisol again and take 50 mg more of Tramadol when needed or every day, realising that I need to reduce Cortisol slowly.
Your advise would be appreciated. I think PMT may have burned itself out. Not sure yet. How much Tramadol is too much? XXXXXXX XXXXXXX Little
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
I agree with your treatment.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX ,

Thank you for posting your query on HCM.

Well madam whenever you reduce corticosteroids , vague aches and pains appear so that is expected . Your doctor is right on saying that tramadol will be good for heart issues so you can go ahead with his advise . Since you had PMR , it generally takes 2 years for whole treatment to be stopped and thus tapering has to be individualised according to the patient . Also it will be advisable if you add calcium and vitamin D as supplements because long term steroids will make the bones weak . It will also help with you pains in general .

Rest any query please ask .

Dr. Shruti
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina
Dr. Shruti Rijhwani

Rheumatologist