What are the side effects of Thyroxine?
3 wks after stoppping Thyroxine and then 4 weeks after stoppin meds. total round 4 weeks without Thyroxine Aim to detect problems earlier than other methods. Stimulate tumour marker
TCH 0.34 T4 10.7-170 etc.
I wanted to know after stop taking Thyroxine for the 4 weeks is there any side effects. Also isnt there any other way to do this without stopping the meds. cheers and tks
There will be side effects
Welcome to HCM. I have gone through your question and understand your concerns.
The answer to the questions
1. Once thyroxine is stopped, you will become hypothyroid and you will be having all side effects of hypothyroidism like lethargy, constipation, dry skin, cold intolerance and weight gain. Most patients can tolerate this. The purpose of stopping the medicine is that the TSH has to go up to do the stimulation.
2. Alternative - You can use synthetic TSH injection (recombinant TSH) - which is available as injection Thyrogen. We usually give this for patients who had serious side effects while stopping thyroxine previously. The main problem is that Thyrogen is an expensive medicine (around $ 2800 for 2 vials).
Hope I have answered your question. If you have ant further questions I will be happy to help you.
Dr Ajish TP
because i work, ie in Retail Fashion and also i wont know how i would feel as everyone is different would it be beter for me to take 4 weeks off or just go to work and see how it goes maybe i dont know say first few days?
after four weeks once the tests are done what would be the recovery time after commencing back on thyroxine.? so i can plan my work situation
do i need to go on any special diet/take vitamins that would help symptons whilst off my thyroxine?
ps i was in two minds doing this because my Surgeon that did the surgery just recomended its up to me which way but he said why go off the thyroxine to stir everything when it doesnt need to. in saying this long as i get blood tests to ensure they are at right levels?
Would you recommend or not that i do the tests
See detailed answer
The answers to your questions:
1. Taking leave from work depends on your symptoms. If you don't have any symptoms of hypothyroidism, no issues in continuing your work.
2. The symptoms of hypothyroidism will improve within 10-14 days of staring thyroxine.
3. No need of any supplements or vitamins while you are off medications.
4. If you have insurance cover or if you don't mind spending for lab tests, you can monitor TSH weekly and once it is above 30 miu/ml you can do blood tests ( thyroglobulin and anti Tg antibody) or iodine scan rather than waiting for 4 weeks.
Hope this will clear your doubts
Dr Ajish TP
for and has helped Thank you
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Side effects of thyroxine medication
- Thyroxine side effects acne
- Thyroxine and marijuana side effects
- What are the side effects of thyroxine sodium tablets
- What are side effects of thyroxine
- Thyroxine side effects lungs
- Thyroxine side effects genitals
- Thyroxine side effects frequency
- Thyroxine side effects on heartburn
- Dicloflex thyroxine side effects
- Suggest remedy for stress induced diabetes
- Does thyroid induce sudden weight gain during pregnancy?
- Suggest treatment for severe cold and chronic pain in lower back
- Suggest treatment for hashimotos thyroiditis
- What does light vaginal bleeding post Mifegest kit usage indicate?
- Suggest dosage of Eltroxine with TSH level of 10
- Suggest treatment for hypothyroidism
- Suggest ways to maintain healthy blood sugar levels
- What causes low blood sugar level?
- What causes swollen lymph nodes on neck with normal CT scan?