question-icon

What are the side effects of Tetracycline?

Posted on Sat, 26 Jul 2014
Question: What are the possible side effects when taking tetracycline for tropical sprue, things I can do to support my system during this period and after?
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah (19 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Drink enough water, avoid sun, avoid milk products

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about this tropical sprue that you have. I hope this medication gets to treat the condition fully. The following tips would be helpful during and after this period.

1. Tetracycline increases sensitivity to sun and UV rays that causes skin burns. Try and keep away from these source of exposures as much as possible while on treatment. Also, drink enough fluids to mitigate any potential consequences from exposure to radiations and sunburns. Sun screen and protective clothing would also be helpful at preventing sunburns.

2. Do not take iron supplements, multivitamins, calcium supplements, antacids, or laxatives within 2 hours before or after taking tetracycline. These products can make this medicine less effective by reducing the absorption in the guts.

3. Expired tetracycline can cause a dangerous syndrome resulting in damage to the kidneys. Throw away any unused tetracycline when it expires or when it is no longer needed. Do not take this medicine after the expiration date on the label has passed.

4. Eating healthy and exercising regularly are great ways to keep active and healthy.

I hope these help. I wish you well and thank you so much for using our services. feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be.

Dr. Ivo Ditah