What are the side effects of Strattera?

Posted on Sat, 24 Dec 2016 in Mental Health
Question: I am a 44 yo male with adhd. my psychiatrist recently prescribed stratera at 18mg dose to test for side effects before upping the dose. I will pick up the prescription tomorrow. I am a newly recovering alcoholic. I have researched and seen several contraindications pertaining to various cardiac issues including high blood pressure, fast pulse, etc. I have a strong family history of chf on my fathers side - my father had chf and died at 52 yo secondary to rejection of his heart transplant. I have high blood pressure and wonder if I should have cardiac clearance first? I am also concerned about several other side effects including: depression, sexual dysfunction, and urinary issues.
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Cardiac evaluation prior to starting drug will be good idea.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for asking from HCM

I can understand your concern. You are 44 years and has family history of cardiac issues.

Stratera is Atomoxetine and the drug is one of commonly used non stimulant medicine for ADD. The drug is relatively safe to use and is well tolerated by most of individuals. In various studies comparing safety of Atomoxetine compared to placebo in cardiac patients, Atomoxetine was found to be associated with minimal cardiac adverse effects. The drug is known to raise systolic blood pressure in adults but that is not in serious ranges.

Still as you are 44 and have family history of CHF then cardiac evaluation is needed. ECG and if needed ECHO will clear heart and if nothing comes then you can take the drug without worries.

Other side effects especially depression is seen more commonly in children. In adults the incidence is not very high. In normal prescribed doses sexual side effects are not very significant.

Thanks. Take care
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar
Follow up: Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 3 hours later
Thank you for your thorough answer.
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Thanks and Take care.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks and Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi

Psychiatrist