What are the side effects of Strattera?

Posted on Tue, 30 Dec 2014 in ADHD
Question: Our child is taking two, 18mg of Strattera in the evening for adhd. we find he is wilder than ever. Could this be a side effect of the medicine?
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Aggressive behavior is expected initially

Detailed Answer:
Hi...I understand your concerns. Strattera is atomoxetine and once it is started, increase in attention deficit and hyperactivity is expected initially. I tell all my patients this before starting this, so that they will not be perturbed. Otherwise when they are expecting the kid to be calming down, they will see the increase in symptoms, which will be confusing.

This is not side effect of the medicine. It si expected and in due course, he will definitely settle down and will be doing good.

Regards - DR. Sumanth

Dr. Sumanth Amperayani

Pediatrician, Pulmonology