What are the side effects of Stemzine?

Dr. Geeta Sundar

Posted on Fri, 17 Mar 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Hi - I have just been prescribed Stemzine or prochlorperazine maleate and forgot to ask my new doctor about any side affects or what it is or if it will help me
Answered by Dr. Geeta Sundar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Prochlorperazine is a drug used for psychotic problems or in vertigo

Detailed Answer:
Hi welcome to Health care magic,

Prochlorperazine is a drug used for psychotic or mental problems. It can have serious side effects.
It used to be used in vertigo (spinning) for which it has been prescribed for you.

It can increase heart problems, lower blood pressure, interfere with liver and kidney functions, cause glaucoma and numerous other side effects like movement disorders.

There are safer drugs like Cinnarizine and Betahistine.
You have already been prescribed the drug.

I am sure your doctor knows about it's side effects and still thinks it necessary.

Please discuss with your doctor after reading my answer.
Feel free to revert back in case of any further queries.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee