What are the side effects of Sinemet?

Dr. Olsi Taka

Neurologist

Posted on Fri, 3 Nov 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: I have been taking Stalevo 200 4 x day and about five months ago she added Sinemet 25/250 4x day and I have side effects and when I informed her she cut down on the Sinemet to 3 pills a day. My upper legs, joints and back still hurts and at times I can't even walk , sit etc. because the pain is unbearable . Now I'm trying four half pills 4 x days and still having trouble. I will be seeing another parkinson doctor but could someone please tell me what to do.
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
A dopa agonist may be added.

Detailed Answer:
I read your question carefully and I understand your concern.

It is a little unclear what side effect do you refer to when you speak about Sinemet. You mention only pain but that is not a usual side effect neither of Sinemet nor of Stalevo, more commonly it is a symptom of Parkinson’s itself, so reducing the dosage might not help much.

If control of Parkinson’s symptoms is not adequate then I would consider adding another class of drug, a dopa agonist. Rotigotine would perhaps be the more appropriate choice at your age, due to the fewer side effects. Of course it is a prescription medication so I am not sure you may be able to obtain it before the visit with the Parkinson specialist (as it should be, as Parkinson’s is very much a clinical diagnosis and physical exam is vital in decision making). You can safely take over the counter pain killers like Acetaminophen (Tylenol) in the meanwhile.

I remain at your disposal for other questions.