• question-icon

What are the side effects of Sinemet?

Posted on Thu, 20 Jul 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: I AM 92-YR OLD MALE, DIAGNOSED WITH PD 3 YRS AGO -- GRADUALLY GETTING WORSE
SINEMET HAS NO EFFECT; MY NEUROLOGIST HAS RUN OUT OF IDEAS
ANY SUGGESTIONS?

XXXXXXX xxxxx YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Some suggestions.

Detailed Answer:
I read your question carefully and I understand your concern.

I wonder what do you mean by Sinemet having no effect. Has it been effective in the beginning? Do you mean that it wears off too quickly, that you are having side effects? What about the dosage and frequency.

Apart from Sinemet there are other options which could be added. Amantadine is one such option which reduces the tremor and reinforces Sinemet effect.
The COMT inhibitors class including entacapone or tolcapone also enhance and prolong Sinemet effect so are useful additions to try.
The MAO-B inhibitors selegiline and rasagiline are another possible addition to increase sinemet effect.
You should discuss the above possible additions with your neurologists who knows better the details of your case.

If drugs are ineffective or cause too many side effects then deep brain stimulation surgery may be considered.

I remain at your disposal for other questions.
Dr. Olsi Taka

Neurologist