What are the side effects of Sinarest AF?

Dr. Pradeep Kumar

Pediatrician, Cardiology

Posted on Thu, 9 Mar 2017 in Child Health
Question: Hi,
Pahlavi here accidentally given Sinarest AF syrap 2.5 ml to my baby 13 months old. Which wrong what are the side effects please help me
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
2.5 ml is not an overdose

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for asking on this platform

Sinarest AF contains pseudoephedrine a decongestant and chlorpheniramine an antiallergic. It is used in cold and nasal congestion.
I won't get overly worried as 2.5 ml is normal dose for 13 months old child.
Very rarely few child may develop hypersensitivity reaction like increased heart rate, irritability, nausea, anxiety etc even with normal dose.
Although the chance of side effect is very remote with this dose, still I would suggest you to observe for any significant abnormality. If you notice any please consult your pediatrician.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Pradeep Kumar 17 minutes later
Pediatrician sugessted to give sinarest drops 0.7 but I gave sinarest syrup 2.5 ml so there will be no problem?
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Strength of sinarest af drop differs from the syrup

Detailed Answer:
Sinarest AF drops contains 1 mg of chlorpheniramine in 1 ml while sinarest af syrup contains 2 mg of chlorpheniramine per 5 ml.
So 2.5 ml of syrup will be equivalent to 1 ml of drop.
For 13 months old baby the dose of drop is 0.5-0.9 ml three to four times a day.
So again I won't get worried as for any medication the side effects occur only when it is taken at least 3-4 times more than normal dose.