What are the side effects of Prevpac?

Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical

Posted on Fri, 23 Oct 2015 in Headache and Migraines
Question: Hi Doctor, Patient is female 65 yrs old. She was on Prevpac medication given for 2 weeks but she has to stop it after 9 days only . This medication was given to her due to a finding of H-pylori bacteria in her stool exam. The medication is a combination of 2 antibiotics and 1 regular medication. As per xxx they are called Flagyl, Biaxin, Prilosec.
Afer 9 days of taking this combination patient developed some burning sensation underneath feet and hands and after 3 days of stopping it, sometimes these symtoms are still there.
Patient was taken to the ER but her vitals were normal. Her regular doctor is sayin that some patients are not ok with this Prevpac combination.But no docor cud give a definite answer as her blood report and other vitals were ok when she was taken to the Emergency
My question is is it due to these antibiotics? how long will these symtoms persist? is it something neurological?
Patient is also suffering from osteoarthiritis of knees.
Please advice
Thanks
xx XXXXXXX
xxxxxxxx
xxx
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Peripheral neuropathy.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for using HCM.

I have read your question and understand your concerns.

Burning sensation in limbs is caused most probably by peripheral neuropathy, this is a neurological condition and could be caused by drugs used as a side effect, besides other causes.

In this case flagyl (metronidazole) is known to cause acute onset of peripheral neuropathy.

This condition is not shown by regular blood tests, nerve conduction study (EMG) may be needed to evaluate it better.

After the drugs stopped, symptoms should start to improve and should subside in few weeks, but rare cases of persisting symptoms may occur also and treatment with drugs such Gabapentin eg. may be needed.

Since there is suspected gastritis or gastroduodenal ulcer, vitamin B12 levels in blood should be measured too, because low levels of vitamin B12 can cause peripheral neuropathy also and vitamin supplements may be necessary to be taken.

These issues should be discussed with the treating Doctor of the patient.

Hope you found the answer helpful.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Erion Spaho 29 minutes later
Doctor, thank you so much for your kind reply. Patient is getting so nervous. So you recommend to take her to neurologist to do the EMG? or just wait few weeks to see if its gone? how many weeks you think this reaction may stay?
is it anything to concern about Peripheral neuropathy?.or it is treatable?

Thanks
xx XXXXXXX
xxxxxx
xxxxx
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Situation can wait.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back and thanks for being on follow up.

I think there is need to wait a couple of weeks and to see if there is symptoms improvement or no.

If gradual improvement then the situation should return to normal or nearly normal within few months.

If no improvement after a couple of weeks, EMG and vitamin B12 levels are needed to be done.

These issues should be discussed with the patient's Neurologist.

Hope I helped you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj