What are the side effects of Prednisone and Zyrtec?

Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis

Posted on Thu, 15 Oct 2015 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Can I take prednisone and Zyrtec for my allergy? What are the side effects?
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
you can take them

Detailed Answer:

sure you can. The question is if you need both...

For the large part of allergic reactions zyrtec should be fine alone. Prednisone is a more potent drug and is usually prescribed for persistent or more serious cases of allergy.

Zyrtec may cause drowsiness (particularly if you also use other central nervous system depressants like alcohol or benzodiazepines). There are numerous potential side effects but the most common one is drowsiness. Headache is very common too.

Prednisone will usually have no serious side effects over a few days course but there are some things to note. Glucose levels will rise particularly in the diabetic population. The blood pressure may rise particularly in individuals with hypertension. Patients with glaucoma should be careful because it may affect the pressure inside the eye too. Other side effects include hypernatremia, hypokalemia, peptic ulcer worsening, etc

I hope you find my comments helpful!
You can contact me again, if you'd like any clarification or further information.

Kind Regards!