question-icon

What are the side effects of Phexin?

Posted on Wed, 29 Apr 2015
Question: Phexin paediatric drops has been prescribed for my 4 months old for cough and cold. She Juz had pertussis vaccination 2 days ago so does that mean the vaccination will get ineffective
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar Jain (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
No,phexin does not effect vaccination

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for the query

Phexin is an antibiotic and pertussis vaccine is a type of killed vaccine.
In general way as pertussis vaccine is a killed vaccine antibiotic can not effect it.
There are various studies to see the effect of antibiotic on immune response produced by vaccination.All the studies have found that there is no interaction between these two.Few medications like Steroids and chemotherapy can effect the immune response but not an antibiotic.
An acute illness itself can alter the immune response.That is the reason the vaccination should be avoided.But this is true for severe illness only.Vaccination should not be postponed in mild illnesses like cough/cold,mild diarrhea and ear or urine infection.
So, I won't get worried in this situation as antibiotic has no interaction with the immunisation.
I hope this answers your query
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Pradeep Kumar Jain (15 minutes later)
Thanks for your response doctor. Phexin and flucol drops has been prescribed for my 4 months old baby for cold and cough. In your experience the above medicines are safe and right for my infant.
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar Jain (27 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Yes,both the medicines are safe

Detailed Answer:
Both Phexin and Flucol(fluconazole) are safe.Continue the medication as prescribed by your physician.
Dr. Pradeep Kumar Jain

Pediatrician, Cardiology