What are the side effects of Omnacortil?

Dr. Shruti Rijhwani

Rheumatologist

Posted on Thu, 10 Sep 2015 in Lupus
Question: Hello Doctor,
I am having Rheumatoid Arthritis for the last 8 yrs. I have been taking its treatment. It was diagnosed after the birth of my first child. i have taken Folitrax, Saaz DS & HCQS. I have even gone for second baby by discontinuing Folitrax and being on Omnacortil. Now I m back on full medication. I m taking 22.5 mg Folitrax weekly, HCQS 300 mg daily, Calcium. I also have thyroid from the time of second pregnancy. Now Rheumetologist suggested me to start with Leflunumide. I want to know whether I should start this and what are the side effects of this medicine.
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I think your rheumatologist is right.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Madam,

Thank you for posting your query on HCM.

Well looking into your problem I would like to tell you that I think your rheumatologist is doing right by adding leflunomide to your treatment as considering your disease, it seems active . Leflunomide is generally well tolerated but CBC , LFT , RFT needs to be checked regularly . In some patients it can cause loose motions and weight loss rest it is well tolerated medicine . Your treating doctor will take care of this .

Rest any queries please ask but in my opinion your doctor is treating you rightly.

Dr. Shruti

Follow up: Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 1 hour later
Thanks Doctor. I want to know
1. Folitrax is now getting less effective or can't the disease be controlled with injection dose
2. My doctor also asked any further plan of third child for which we cannot answer as of now and he has just increased the oral dose of Folitrax from 20mg to 22.5 mg and HCQS from 200mg to 300mg. I m a mother of two daughters and I cannot take any firm decision right now. Will Leflunomide affects the fertility also? If I start with this can I think of another child in future?
3. Is this medical condition prevail like this lifelong.
I m in despair.
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Follows.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Madam,

Thank you for reverting back.

Truly speaking there is not much of a difference between injectible and oral form , ideally injectable form should be used in cases of oral intolerance .
Rheumatoid arthritis does not have a uniform course and the disease will have flares in between , it cannot be cured it can only be controlled with medications.

If you are planning to conceieve in future , Leflunomide should not be used because it takes two years for the drug to leave the system or else we have to do a washout which is again a cumbersome process . It will not harm your fertility potential but can be risky for the baby. So , you can plan a baby after stopping leflunomide for 2 years , so talk to your doctor regarding the same .

Any other concern please ask.

Dr. Shruti