What are the side effects of Omnacortil?

Dr. Shruti Rijhwani

Rheumatologist

Posted on Mon, 4 Aug 2014 in General Health
Question: I have eczema thinking taking omnacortil 40 mg .how long Should I take and any side effects thanks
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Follows.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Sir,

Thank you for posting your query on HCM.

Well looking into your problem I would like to tell you that omnacortil is a steroid , it can be helpful in eczema but the dose and titration your treating doctor needs to decide seeing your response to the drug . Generally the dose is decreased by 5 mg every 15 days but it can vary according to the symptoms .

Steroids can lead to osteoporosis , infections , diabetes , poor wound healing , cushings disease and other many side effects if taken for prolonged periods .

Dr. Shruti
Follow up: Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 10 minutes later
Thinking 40mg every other day moving doage to 20 mg 14days XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Follows.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Sir,

Once started steroids cannot be tapered that fast . You will need a maintainence dose .

Dr. Shruti
Follow up: Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 2 minutes later
How many days and what mg do you think thanks
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Follows.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Sir,

If you want to taper it early at least 40 mg for 5 days the 30 mg for 5 days the 25 mg for 5 days then 20 mg for 5 days then 15 mg for 5 days then 10 mg for 5 days and then 5 mg for 5 days then alternate day 5 mg and 2.5 mg for 5 days then stop.

Rest needs to be tailored according to your response and need as per your treating doctor.

Dr. Shruti