What are the side effects of Mulmin Syrup in children?

Dr. Prasanna Heijebu

Posted on Thu, 12 Nov 2015 in Child Health
Question: Sir,

My baby is 20 months old. We got a bottle from a doctor in our family of Mulmin syrup for him. The dosage was mentioned as 5ml twice daily. We gave it to him for 6 days. But we started seeing red acnes on his body. We thought this as side effect of Mulmin and stopped it. But it has been a week since then. And my baby seems to be not eating his food at all, and we have to force feed him. Most of the times, he just vomits. I researched and found the dosage shall be 1 ml per day for a baby of his age. Now I am really worried. Is it an emergency?
Answered by Dr. Prasanna Heijebu 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Seek Medical care at the earliest

Detailed Answer:
Hello, Sir.

I can understand your concern.

The recommended dosage can be 1-2ml twice a day for his age.

It is important to rule out the drug toxicity at this stage.

Red rashes are directly due to the syrup.

I advise you to seek an early medical care, considering his symptoms which could be due to deranged liver or gut metabolism secondary to excess vitamin A( a major component of Mulmin).

Post your further queries if any.
Thank you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Prasanna Heijebu 10 minutes later
Mam,

Thanks for the reply.

We are really worried and waiting for morning to take him to the hospital. Meanwhile, can you please inform, did we do a severe damage to my baby
Answered by Dr. Prasanna Heijebu 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Difficult to predict without actually examinating the baby.

Detailed Answer:
Hello, Sir.

I can certainly understand your concerns.

But it is difficult to predict without actually examining the baby in person nor viewing the lab parameters and necessary scans.

But never the less, I can guide you once baseline tests and scans if any, ordered by your physician.

Thank you.