What are the side effects of Methotrexate?
Methotrexate Side Effects
thank you for writing on health care magic
Methotrexate is a safe drug which is to be taken once a week. The most common side effects are on the liver and the blood counts. It can cause a bit of elevation in the liver enzymes which are usually transient and resolve with time.
2. Once taken, it can cause Nausea and uneasiness to some patients after taking it. This is the most common reason why patients discontinue the drug as they dont feel good for at least 2-3 days. So we recommend to take the drug at night after meals and sleep off
3. Once you are on methotrexate, you need monitoring of your blood tests every 3 months to look for the side effects
4. Among the rare ones are side effects on the lungs( Pneumonitis). But all in all a safe drug
5. Methotrexate does not cause weight gain. But at times, weight gain happens in patients once the disease get s better, the inflammation goes down and thus the apetite and absorption of food improves causing weight gain
Hope the information was useful
Do let me know for more queries. Would be happy to sort it out
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Methotrexate crohn's side effects
- Methotrexate side effects for ra
- Side effects of methotrexate tablets
- Common side effects of methotrexate
- Methotrexate for arthritis side effects
- Kidney side effects methotrexate
- Methotrexate lung side effects
- Intrathecal methotrexate side effects
- Severe side effects of methotrexate
- Methotrexate and eye side effects
- Is there any alternate medication for prednisolone?
- What causes sweating,fatigue and grey colored stool when sufferimh from...
- Suggest treatment for damage to joints caused after stem cell transplant
- Suggest treatment for sjogrens syndrome
- What are the side effects of Saaz?
- What causes knee pain?
- What causes pain in arms,legs,neck with dizziness and fatigue?
- Suggest treatment for diabetic diarrhea
- Can vasculitis occur on foot and legs?
- What causes cellulitis, sinusitis and joint pain?