• question-icon

What are the side effects of Macrobid?

Posted on Sat, 5 Aug 2017 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: I am taking macrobid for a bladder infection. What are the side effects of this drug
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Nitrofurantoin

Detailed Answer:

Macrobid is the antibiotic nitrofurantoin. It is specific for urinary tract infections. It can sometimes cause gastrointestinal upset and should be taken with or immediately after eating.

Macrobid has the potential to cause peripheral neuropathy (tingling, pain, or numbness in limbs), but this is a rare side effect. I am mentioning it so that you are aware and stop taking it and call the doctor if it should occur.

As with most antibiotics, there is the potential for gut flora imbalances, so consider taking a probiotic while you are taking the antibiotic and for a week or two after. Take the probiotic at a time that you are not taking the antibiotic - such as a couple of hours before or after. And as with all antibiotics, there is the potential for vaginal yeast overgrowth for the same reasons as the gut flora imbalances. Antibiotics kill some of the good bacteria and so in the vagina, the small amount of yeast that are normally there don't have competition and can overgrow. If this happens and is mild, soak in the tub with a cup of apple cider vinegar in the water or wipe gently with a wash cloth with half strength apple cider vinegar and water. If it is severe (extremely itchy vaginal area and whitish discharge), get some anti yeast cream from Walgreens or other drug store.

Here are the more serious side effects to watch for and stop taking it. Again, these are rare:
-diarrhea that is watery or bloody;
-shortness of breath, running out of breath easily;
-sudden chest pain or discomfort, wheezing, dry cough or hack;
-fever, chills, body aches, unexplained weight loss;
-peripheral neuropathy - numbness, tingling, or pain in your hands or feet;
-nausea, upper stomach pain, itching, loss of appetite, dark urine, clay-colored stools, jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes) - because of liver inflammation
-pale skin, easy bruising, confusion or weakness;
-patchy skin color, red spots, or a severe blistering, peeling, and red skin rash; or
-severe headache, ringing in your ears, dizziness, vision problems, pain behind your eyes.

I hope this answers your question adequately. Please let me know if I can provide further information.
Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh