What are the side effects of Lisinopril?

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Fri, 30 Oct 2015 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: What is the chance that severe weakness in the legs(causing one to fall because the legs do not have the strenght) is a side effect of lisinopril?alchohol consu

Does alcohol consumption make the leg wwakness worse ( while on lisinopril). Or could there be a neurological cause fir the weakness in legs( to the point of falling)
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Your symptoms seem to be related to a neurological disorder.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for asking on HCM!

Regarding your concern, your symptoms seem to be related to a neurological disorder.

Lisinopril doesn't seem to be related to this symptomatology.

A careful differential diagnosis between a peripheral neuropathy (induced by alcohol) and a lumbar spinal cord disorder (vascular, inflammatory, tumoral, etc.) is needed.

Both these disorders cause weakness in the legs.

When did your problems start? Gradually or of abrupt onset?

Do you feel numbness in your legs? What about other symptoms like burning sensation or the feeling of walking on the cotton?

I recommend consulting with a neurologist for a careful physical examination and a nerve conduction study (electroneurography).

Further lab tests may be necessary to exclude other causes of polyneuropathy (complete blood count, PCR, sedimentation rate, fasting glucose, thyroid hormone levels, blood electrolytes, kidney and liver function tests, etc)

A lumbar spine MRI may be necessary if suspicions for a spinal cord disorder are raised during physical activity.

If alcohol induced polyneuropathy is diagnosed, it can be treated with vitamins. The earlier diagnosed, the better are the therapy effects.

Hope to have been helpful!

Best wishes,

Dr. Iliri
Follow up: Dr. Ilir Sharka 3 days later
Thank you very much. Your advice is very helpful.
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome!

Detailed Answer:
Hello again!

I am gland to have been helpful!

You can ask me directly at any time, if you have other questions at the link below:

http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/Funnel?page=askDoctorDirectly&docId=69765

Best regards,

Dr. Iliri