What are the side effects of Lidocaine?

Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain

Posted on Mon, 9 Nov 2015 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I was given an injection of lidocaine and keralge for lower lumbar pain. i'm not sure how to spell the second one. are there any side effects?
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Serious side effects expected in case of poor or repeated injections

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for the query

It's true that generally all drugs have side effects. However , local injections of drugs lidocaine and drugs for back pain do not have serious side effects.

It becomes problematic especially when injected poorly directly into the blood vessels , or in excessive doses or when injections are taken more repeatedly than recommended.

I guess the second drug should be a steroid.
taken for a long time can cause gastritis, drug induced diabetes and weight gain.

If you took the drug once , I do not think you need to be worried as concerns any serious side effects.

Thanks and kind regards as I wish you the best of health. Please, do feel free asking any follow up questions in case of need.

Dr Bain
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T