What are the side effects of Lamictal and Risperdal?

Dr. Dariush Saghafi

Neurologist

Posted on Mon, 3 Apr 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: I'm on 200mg of Lamictal and 4 mg of Rispiradel.
I don't tend to get many side effects from medication and no signs of epilepsy.
BUT
The last 6 months, when I'm anxious for a second or 2 that I might have an absent seizure where I'll think weirdly for 10 seconds, I sometimes get a blank in my brain where I basically can't think anything (not something that I've ever had before and totally different to seizures that I may have had). And it's almost like I can feel a slight thing in my blood / heart / chest / lungs.
It seems to me that it's just as likely lung / heart / blood related then brain related.
I worry that I'm going to do this and it ends up happening.
It doesn't normally happen when nobody is around.
Is this a side effect from Lamicatal?
Is it a side effect from Rispiradel?
Is this a sign of growing out of Epilepsy?
Is it heart / lung / blood pressure related?
Is it something to do with my diet and not enough of something in my blood?
Is it epileptic?
What can I do?
Thanks
Answered by Dr. Dariush Saghafi 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Keep track of these episodes on a SEIZURE DIARY

Detailed Answer:
Good morning. After reading your description of events my advice to you if you were my patient and under treatment for any type of epileptic disorder would be to start keeping track of when these events occur. Do not attempt to diagnose or conclude YOURSELF what may have initiated or precipitated the event as you have done in your paragraph.

Simply DOCUMENT and DESCRIBE the event. Allow the doctor following you to examine those compilations of events as PURELY DESCRIBED by you in terms of dates, times that you can best estimate beginning and ending, as well as feelings you but be simple about it. Use words such "anxious, confused, dizzy, disoriented." Don't be more complex in your description than that and offer no analysis.

In my opinion and based on the very little information you've provided I believe it is more likely you are having breakthrough events of loss of alertness which could be secondary to your epileptic condition as opposed to medication side effects though this cannot be entirely ruled out given the data. If you bring this up to your treating doctor (hopefully an epileptologist) they will know what to do next in terms of either sending you for more testing, raising the doses of your treating medication, or changing your current medication.

DO NOT MAKE CHANGES YOURSELF to anything you're taking or how you've been instructed to take them and I encourage you NOT to start taking other drugs or medications recommended by friends on the homeopathic market such as herbs, amino acids, etc. without your doctor's knowledge or approval. You may simply make things muddier rather than fix anything.

Be patient.....START THE DIARY and be very objective about the data you keep. There are very nice such logs as apps for smartphones if you go to the itunes catalog and put in search terms such as epilepsy, seizure diary, seizure log, etc.

If I've provided useful and helpful information to your questions could you do me a huge favor by CLOSING THE QUERY and be sure to include some fine words of feedback along with a 5 STAR rating? Again, many thanks for submitting your inquiry and please let me know how things turn out.

Do not forget to contact me in the future at: www.bit.ly/drdariushsaghafi for additional questions, comments, or concerns having to do with this topic or others.

This query has utilized a total of 21 minutes of professional time in research, review, and synthesis for the purpose of formulating a return statement.