What are the side effects of Kynamro?

Dr. Abhijit Sonawane

Posted on Fri, 23 Oct 2015 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: My doctor is talking about starting me on Kynamro, I am a heart patient, and a diabetic on Lantus, and Humalog. I have had reactions to most of the heart med, and statins, also had a reaction to some vitamin supplements. They also question my kidney functions. After looking at the potential side effects of Kynamro I'm not sure I am willing to take it. Also in 2010, I did have Br CA, caught it real early so just had Radiation Therapy. Not on any meds for CA now. I'm just nervous about taking anything new, everytime I have a drug reaction, it takes me forever to get to feeling half way normal again, and I never feel as good as I did before the reaction. What more can you tell me about Kynamro?
Merilyn
Answered by Dr. Abhijit Sonawane 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Are you diagnosed to have homozygous familial hypercholesterolemia?

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for posting in HCM.
Kynamro which contains Mipomersen is a cholesterol reducing agent used only in patients who are diagnosed to have homozygous familial hypercholesterolemia.
It is a familial condition or genetic where some enzymes for fat breakdown are abnormal causing increased cholesterol in which LDL (bad cholesterol) is increased.
As you are allergic to statins which also is used to lower cholesterol he might have chose to start you on this medications.
But this is a different group of medication not similar to statins so you cannot say whether taking this medicine can cause reaction or not.
But as you are heart patient lowering your cholesterol levels is important.
Side effects of Kynamro are injection site reactions, flu-like symptoms, nausea and headache.
You can ask your doctor to give a test dose first and see whether any reaction occurs. If there is no reaction then you can proceed to take the full dose and complete your course as per regime.
I hope i have answered your query well. If you have any more queries kindly write back to me.
Thank you
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina