What are the side effects of Isabgol?

Dr. Pravin Gore

Proctologist

Posted on Tue, 5 Aug 2014 in Constipation
Question: Hi Doctor, i take one teaspoon of Isabgol(psyllium husk) before lunch and dinner with 2 glasses of water as a weight management as well as bowel function control measure (as I had a lot of gas and acidity problem) as recommended by my nutrician... I have heard of lots of side effects of psyllium - though am now deviod of any gas and acidity problem... please advise whether it is OK to continue as I am still under the weight management regimen
Answered by Dr. Pravin Gore 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
isabgol is ok.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX nice to know about your weight and health consciouness.
For the isabghol thing, its a natural fibre supplememt and is disintegrated by the normally present bacteria in our large intestines to produce gas. This is a known and common thing (you can say side-effect).
Let me confirm that there is no problem in consumption as per your doses.
If you feel the gas problem is too disturbing, then I would suggest a pro-biotic to be added. You can take say Cap. VSL#3 Once a day for 20days.
For the gas problem, flatuna tablets work well with all my patients and it is to be taken twice a day with meals for say 20-days.
take care.
wish you good health
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju