What are the side effects of Ibuprofen?

Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis

Posted on Sat, 17 Oct 2015 in General Health
Question: I have a question about side effects of too much Ibuprofen (nsaid). OK to ask you?
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please ask...

Detailed Answer:

the bleeding event you've mentioned needs to be clarified regarding its nature. Was the blood mixed homogeneously with the stool? Was there any blood on the toilet paper? Since you had symptoms from your hemorrhoids, it's probably an irritated hemorrhoid. Ibuprofen has nothing to do with it. Eating fiber, drinking enough water, physical activity and regular (scheduled) visits to the toilet may help. The bowels love regularity.

Regarding ibuprofen, it may have numerous side effects. Some of the most important include allergic reactions, worsening of hypertension, renal damage, peptic ulcer, liver enzymes elevation, etc

If you want to ask a more specific question or you'd like any clarification, please use your follow up questions to do so.

Kind Regards!
Follow up: Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 21 minutes later
Thank you for the quick reply. Yes, the toilet paper was blood stained. Had I not looked I would have never expected to see it. It was quite frightening to see, the bowel movement felt normal though. The rectum feels a bit tender I assume from the hemorrhoid flare up on Saturday but I check several times a day and see no trace of bleeding. Only during the bowel movement. It seems that the bleeding is occuring as I pass the stool. I wipe, clean up, and shower and don't see another trace all day. The stool itself looked a normal color and shape.

Thank you, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It's probably the hemorrhoid

Detailed Answer:
You're welcome!

It's probably the hemorrhoid only but in similar cases at least one endoscopic evaluation of the left colon is appropriate, just to be sure that no intraluminal lesion caused the bleeding. If you've done such a test recently then there is no reason to repeat it now.

Kind Regards!