What are the side effects of IUD?
IUD-s are easy to use, have few side effects, safe and effective.
Thank you for using Healthcaremagic to post your health query.
I read carefully your question and I understand your concern.
Here are the answers of your questions, one by one:
- IUD works by preventing pregnancy by a foreign body effect induced by the plastic or metal frame and by local changes caused by the released medication (copper or levonorgestrel)
- It is inserted by a gynecologist during a simple gynecologic visit, which is uncomfortable but not painful.
- The risk of pregnancy when having unprotected sex, is very very - the probability of pregnancy in the first year is 0.6 percent; with typical use, the first year pregnancy rate is 0.5 to 0.8 percent. Women under age 25 experience a slightly higher failure rate, most likely because they are more fertile than older women. But when pregnancy happens, it is more likely to be an ectopic pregnancy.
- It has very few side effects comparing to the daily pill contraception. The most common side effect is a change in bleeding pattern, including prolonged bleeding, unscheduled bleeding, amenorrhea, and spotting. But in most cases, at the end of one year of use, these problems stabilize.
- In general it can be kept for 5-10 years (depends on the type). But you can decide to remove it at any time, if you will decide to be pregnant. After removing it, you will have your normal menstrual cycle and be able to remain pregnant like before.
- It is taken out in the same way like it was inserted- with a gynecological visit.
Hope this is helpful.
Let me know if you need more clarifications.
Very very low risk of possible pregnancy.
Thank you for the follow up question.
I am sorry. I meant- very very low. The probability of it follows the explanation (see above). That means that in the first year of using it, in 1000 women, there is a risk that 6 of them will have a pregnancy, and that is not likely to be a normal pregnancy, but rather incompatible with life, so may result in miscarriage.
Hope that makes sense.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes bulge around rectal area that appears post exercise?
- Suggest tests to diagnose herpes infection
- What causes difficulty in losing weight while suffering from blood clot...
- Can Hydroxycut be taken daily along with Metformin?
- Suggest treatment for torn achilles tendon and nerve pain on left foot
- Can Clindamycin cause tendon rupture?
- What causes tender lesions on back spreading towards breast?
- What is low body temperature defined as?
- How long does Morphine remain in the body?
- What causes fever, cough and strange sound while breathing?