What are the side effects of Hydroxyurea?

Dr. Deepak Sundriyal

Oncologist

Posted on Tue, 7 Mar 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Good morning,

1. How severe are the side effects of a 500 mg a day dose of hydroxyurea capsules.

2. My husband has begun taking the above dose to treat high blood platelet count (706). Is this treatment common?

3. Because of the warnings of the safe handling of the medicine and the side effects to unborn children, my husband is concerned about sexual intercourse and the side effects the drug may cause him (bruising) and on me (sperm). Should he be concerned?

Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Deepak Sundriyal 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Side effects are uncommon

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear. I have gone through the details.

So hydroxyurea is commonly given to reduce the platelet counts. At this dose, the side effects are uncommon and are in the form of a mild diarrhoea or some skin rash.

However, during treatment with hydroxyurea, one must not plan for family and contraception is advisable.

Feel to ask further.

Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Deepak Sundriyal 2 days later
Thank you for your reply. However, I don’t believe items 2 and 3 of my original message were addressed. Please advise.

Answered by Dr. Deepak Sundriyal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Its a fairly common treatment

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear. Yes its a fairly common treatment option to decrease the elevated counts. Only after a couple of days use, counts will drop. At this point of time the riak of bruise will be low and intercourse can be done with practically no risk. However, contraception needs to be maintained.
Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Deepak Sundriyal 20 minutes later
Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Deepak Sundriyal 1 minute later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Welcome dear.
Thanks and regards