What are the side effects of Hydromorphine?

Anesthesiologist
Question
a patient was given dose of hydromorph from ampoule. right dosage but from ampoule not liquid. ? ordered po no liquid in dd cupboard. checked by both nurses. any side effects to be concerned about
Posted Tue, 12 Aug 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Girija Kumari 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Mention me the dose of the drug given?

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXX,

Hydromorphine is an opioid used mainly for analgesic purpose in cancer pain patients. It is available in powdered and liquid form. Powdered form to be reconstituted with sterile water in defined concentrations. The side effects vary from delirium to CNS depression also prone for dependence. Kindly mention me the dose which was given to the patient and why was this chosen?

Thank you.