What are the side effects of Glycine?

Dr. Bruno Mascarenhas

Neurologist, Surgical

Posted on Wed, 31 Aug 2016 in Brain and Spine
Question: I suffered a traumatic brain injury (eeg confirms) 50 years ago and discovered benefit with glycine about 3 years ago. Effexts are maily better attention, better emotional control (less impulsive). Are you aware of any reports of this effect?
Answered by Dr. Bruno Mascarenhas 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
We are aware of reports of this better attention, better emotional control

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to HealthCareMagic.com I am Dr.J XXXXXXX Anto Bruno Mascarenhas. I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help you.

1. Glycine is an inhibitory neurotransmitter in the central nervous system, especially in the spinal cord, brainstem, and retina.

2. When glycine receptors are activated, chloride enters the neuron via ionotropic receptors, causing an Inhibitory postsynaptic potential (IPSP).

3. Glycine is a required co-agonist along with glutamate for NMDA receptors.

4. 3 grams of glycine before bedtime improved sleep quality in humans.

5. Glycine has also been positively tested as an add-on treatment for schizophrenia

6. It has been also used in Treating leg ulcers, when applied as a cream that also contains other amino acids.

7. It has been used in Treating the most common form of stroke (ischemic stroke).

8. Putting glycine under the tongue may help to limit brain damage caused by an ischemic stroke when started within 6 hours of having the stroke.

9. It helps in Memory enhancement.

10. The role of Glycine in the following conditions are under study
a. Benign prostatic hypertrophy (BPH).
b. Liver protection.
c. Cancer prevention.

Coming to your question, //Effexts are maily better attention, better emotional control (less impulsive). Are you aware of any reports of this effect?//
My Answer is
YES. We are aware of reports of this effect

Hope you found the answer helpful.

If you need any clarification / have doubts / have additional questions / have follow up questions, then please do not hesitate in asking again. I will be happy to answer your questions.

Best Wishes for Speedy Recovery
Let me know if I can assist you further.

-oOo-

PS 1 : After all your doubts have been cleared, kindly (a) Close this Question (b) Rate my Replies and (c) Give your Feedback.

PS 2 : In the future, for continuity of care, I encourage you to contact me directly in HealthCareMagic at http://bit.ly/askdrbruno
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar